As you prepare your family's favorite meal, the last thing you want is to get stuck when cutting, slicing, or skinning food with a dull knife. Such an incident can occur if you don't use the best chef knife. The right knife enables you to cut meat, skin fish, or peel potatoes with relative ease.
It features sturdy construction materials and strikes a good balance between weight and size. The best chef's knife should be packed with safety features to ensure that you never hurt yourself in the process of preparing food. Its handle has an ergonomic design that allows you to have a firm and comfortable grip even when your hands are wet or greasy.
What to Consider When Picking the Best Chef Knife
When out shopping for the best chef knife, one of the things you should consider is the total amount of money you have to pay for the product you want. Durability, safety features, and overall balance are other things that you should keep in mind.
The total amount of money you pay for any knife can determine several things. To get a high-end product that will certainly last for a long time, you may have to spend anything from $$ to $$$. However, if you want something that can get the job done without necessarily being expensive, you may have to part with anything between $ and $$.
The durability of any knife depends on its construction, design, and materials. The better the blade and handle, the better the knife. It may seem simple, but the difference between a cheap knife and a keeper is often the quality of the steel.
Ease of maintenance
The best chef knife features dust, stain, and rust resistant materials. That makes it possible for you to clean and store it safely. It should be able to cut, slice, or chop through vegetables, fruits, and meat without requiring frequent sharpening. Overall, maintenance of the knife should not be tedious or time-consuming.
How We Reviewed the Best Chef Knife
To determine the best chef knife on the market, we rely on customer ratings combined with professional research into the toughness of the blade, ease of maintenance, durability, and handle construction.
Our Top 10 Best Chef Knife Picks
While there are a variety of knives on the market, the following products come across as being durable and well balanced. The list is in no particular order.
1. MAC Knife Professional Series 8-inch chef's knife
- 2.5mm blade. The added dimples help the knife to glide through sticky foods such as potatoes, apples, and summer squash
- Lightweight. Knife Length- 12.63 inches
- Pakka wood handle. Blade thickness - 2.5 mm
The MAC Knife Professional 8-inch chef's knife features a stainless steel blade that is both sturdy and rust-resistant. The blade has dimples that enhance the efficiency with which the knife glides through sticky foods such as apples and potatoes. The knife weighs 6.5 ounces, which makes it appropriately balanced for the kind of work you will be using it for.
With a blade thickness of just 2.5mm, you can be sure that the knife can cut, slice and dice through different foods with relative ease. The blade measures 8 inches long which is standard for both home and professional kitchen settings. It has a comfortable, plastic handle with a firm grip. The knife is on Amazon with a customer rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars and a price range of $$ to $$$.
2. Global G-2 8-inch chef's knife
- Lightweight, precisely balanced 8-inch or 20cm chef's knife
- Blade made of high-tech molybdenum/vanadium stainless steel
- Edge retains razor sharpness exceptionally well
The Global G-2 features an 8-inch stainless steel blade that lets you cut through different foods with relative ease. This knife’s blade features high-tech molybdenum/vanadium stainless steel, which keeps it in good shape regardless of the frequency of use.
The blade does not rust and hardly ever retains particles on the sides, so you can be sure it’s easy to clean. The handle construction also features stainless steel with dimples for traction and better grip regardless of what you are cutting or slicing. It weighs 7.8 ounces, which makes it lightweight enough for efficient use. It’s on Amazon with a customer rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars and a price range of $$ to $$$.
3. Messermeister Meridian Elite Series chef's knife
- The German 1.4116 high-carbon, stainless alloy blade resists stains and corrosion, exhibits toughness and durability,...
- This knife line is one-piece, hot-drop hammer forged, which produces the strongest blade from heel to tip. The blades...
- The three-step, 15 degree “Elite” edge is hand stropped on a cloth wheel, creating the sharpest possible cutting...
This particular knife features a German 1.4116 high-carbon, stainless alloy blade which is both rust and stain resistant. While it looks thin, the blade is quite sturdy and retains its shape even when put to rugged use. This blade measures 8 inches long, while the knife weighs 0.96 ounces. That gives it the ideal balance you need when cutting, slicing, and dicing different types of food.
Its bolster tapers from the handle and blends at the heel into the edge, meaning you can use the entire edge of the blade to cut through vegetables, fruits, and other items. Furthermore, the bolster design also makes it easy to sharpen. It’s on Amazon with a customer rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars and a price range of $ to $$.
4. Wusthof Classic 8-inch chef's knife
- KITCHEN WORKHORSE – The WÜSTHOF 8” Classic Chef’s Knife is essential for preparing any meal. This all-purpose...
- WÜSTHOF CLASSIC SERIES – The full Tang, Triple Riveted handles of the classic line offer the widest range of cutlery...
- CHEF’S KNIFE – Features an 8” long blade, 4.5” long handle and weighs 8.5 ounce Full Bolster and Finger Guard,...
The Wusthof Classic features a forged high-carbon stainless steel blade that is sturdy enough to withstand rugged use. The blade is both rust and stain resistant, which means you will spend little effort and time in cleaning it. This knife is hand-honed to achieve razor-like sharpness so that you can easily cut through vegetables, fruits, and other types of food.
The knife weighs 8.5 ounces while the blade measures 8 inches in length. That combination ensures that you can quickly cut through fruits and vegetables such as carrots, potatoes, and tomatoes. Its synthetic handle features contours that enhance traction to ensure that you have a firm grip even when the knife is wet. The knife is on Amazon with a customer rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars and a price range of $ to $$.
5. Dalstrong Shogun Series X Gyuto chef's knife
- The Ultimate Chef's Knife: A Dalstrong culinary revolution combining outstanding and award-winning craftsmanship,...
- Unrivalled Performance: Ruthlessly sharp scalpel like edge is hand finished to a mirror polish within a staggering...
- Dalstrong Power: An ultra sharp AUS-10V Japanese super steel cutting core at 62+ Rockwell hardness: extraordinary...
The Dalstrong chef’s knife features an AUS-10V vacuum-heat-treated Japanese super steel cutting core at 62+. That gives it the sturdiness to withstand frequent and rugged use. It has a hammered tsuchime finish that lowers drag and creates tiny air pockets, thereby eliminating stuck on food. The blade measures 8 inches, while the knife has an overall weight of 0.6 pounds.
The knife has a highly impervious military-grade G10 fiberglass resin handle that keeps it free of moisture and dust. The handle’s ergonomic design gives you a firm and comfortable grip regardless of the type of food you are slicing or dicing. It’s on Amazon with a customer rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars and a price range of $$ to $$$.
6. Victorinox Fibrox Pro chef's knife
- FOR HOME CHEFS & PROFESSIONALS. This Fibrox Pro Chef's Knife has been the top choice of both home chefs and...
- FIT FOR ALL TASKS. Designed to handle both small and large kitchen tasks with durability. This knife's razor sharp and...
- EASY HANDLING. Each knife features an ergonomic handle made from thermoplastic elastomer (TPE) for a non-slip grip --...
The Victorinox Fibrox Pro chef's knife has a high-carbon stainless steel blade that is strong enough to withstand frequent use. This steel is resistant to rust and stains, making this knife a low maintenance option. The blade measures 8 inches long, while the knife has an overall weight of 8.8 ounces.
Its handle features thermoplastic elastomers, which are both durable and lightweight enough to let you get through your chopping, cutting, or dicing without breaking a sweat. The textured handle provides enough traction for you to have a firm grip, while its ergonomic design offers exceptional comfort. This knife is on Amazon with a customer rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars and a price range of $ to $$.
7. Zwilling J.A. Henckels Twin Pro S
- QUALITY MANUFACTURING: Manufactured in Germany. Special formula high carbon no stain steel. Sigma forge knife is forged...
- RESILIENT BLADE: Ice-hardened FRIODUR blade starts sharper stays sharper longer and has superior resilience
- PRECISE CUTTING: Precision honed blade and laser-controlled edge ensures ideal cutting angle for sharpness and...
The Zwilling J.A features a high-carbon stainless steel blade that keeps its form regardless of the frequency of use. The material is both rust and particle resistant, consequently making this a low-maintenance knife. The precision-honed blade and laser-controlled edge enhance longevity while ensuring that the knife remains sharp even after multiple uses.
This knife has an ergonomic polymer three-rivet handle that gives you a comfortable and firm grip throughout your cutting, chopping, or dicing sessions. The blade is 8 inches long, making it appropriate for small and large tasks. The knife is on Amazon with a customer rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars and a price range of $$ to $$$.
8. Zelite Infinity Kiritsuke Alpha-Royal Series
- SAMURAI BLADES – BE THE ULTIMATE SUSHI CHEF: Scary Sharp this Long 9” Traditional Japanese Style flatter belly blade...
- PREMIUM JAPANESE STEEL – BUILT TO LAST: Imported Japan AUS10 Super Steel with 67-layer High Carbon Stainless Steel,...
- STUNNING TRIPLE RIVETED, ROUNDED HANDLE: This is what Differentiates Zelite Knives from the Competition – Our Handles...
This particular knife’s construction features AUS10 super steel with 67-layer high carbon stainless steel. These materials keep the knife sturdy and capable of withstanding rugged use. Its surface is smooth and resistant to rust, so you won’t have to spend too much time maintaining this knife.
This knife has a military-grade G10 handle that is triple riveted to the forged full tang. Its handle construction makes it durable and resistant to moisture, stains, and damage. Its ergonomic design makes for a comfortable grip when you are trimming beef, chopping vegetables, or slicing fish. The knife is available on Amazon with a customer rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars and a price range of $$ to $$.
9. Mercer Culinary Genesis forged chef's knife
- Triple-riveted, ergonomically designed Delrin handle. One-piece precision forged construction. Rounded spine for comfort...
- Shortened bolster exposes full blade edge, allowing for easier sharpening
- Full tang runs the entire length of the handle for superior balance
The Mercer Culinary Genesis features a high-carbon, no-stain German cutlery steel blade. The blade is rust resistant and hardly ever stains. Its precision-forged construction makes it quite sturdy and durable even when subject to frequent use. The knife has an ergonomic Santoprene handle that lets you cut, slice, and dice foods with relative ease.
The handle offers a non-slip grip, meaning you can use it even when your hands are wet. Moreover, it can withstand high and low temperatures. The blade measures 8 inches long, while the knife has an overall weight of one pound. It’s on Amazon with a customer rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars and a price range of $ to $.
10. Zyliss Control chef's knife
The Zyliss Control comes across as the best chef knife for those on a budget. It features a high-quality German steel blade that is exceptionally sharp. The steel is both rust and stain resistant, meaning you won't have to spend too much time on maintenance. It has an antibacterial protected and contoured handle that is ideal for both small and large hands.
The ergonomic construction of the handle makes it comfortable, while its non-slip texture ensures you can use it even with wet hands. The sturdy bolster enhances balance and protects your hand. This knife is on Amazon with a customer rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars and a price range of $ to $$.
Now You Can Pick the Best Chef Knife From the List
If you are looking for a basic knife, it may be wise to opt for the Mercer Culinary Genesis or Victorinox Fibrox Pro chef's knife. If, on the other hand, you are looking for a high-end culinary experience, you can't beat the Zelite or Dalstrong blades.
Do you have a favorite chef's knife? Let us know about it in the comments below!
Featured Image via Pexels
Last update on 2021-10-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API