Peanut butter is a household favorite because it is a versatile condiment.
You can use it in pretty much any recipe you want because of its creamy texture and sweet, nutty taste.
Commercial peanut butter brands, however, contain a variety of additives and can be packed with sugar, vegetable oils, and trans fat.
Health problems, such as heart disease, can result from consuming too much of these added ingredients. Therefore, organic peanut butter is better than commercial brands of peanut butter to consume on a regular basis.
Top 5 Best Organic Peanut Butter: Editor Recommended
The 10 Best Organic Peanut Butter Reviews:
1. Santa Cruz Organic Crunchy Light Roasted Peanut Butter
Peanut butter made by Santa Cruz Organic is roasted Spanish peanut butter made with organic peanuts and a dash of salt–no high fructose corn syrup, no hydrogenated oils, and no artificial ingredients.
Organic Peanut Butter from Santa Cruz comes in a variety of roasted and creamy varieties to meet a variety of taste profiles. Lightly roasted peanuts create a smooth flavor in this crunchy peanut butter.
The Santa Cruz Organic Peanut Butters are Non-GMO Project Verified and contain no trans fats. Using 100% renewable energy to produce this product.
- Contains (1) 16 Ounce Santa Cruz Organic Crunchy Light Roasted Peanut Butter
- Crunchy peanut butter made from certified USDA organic Spanish peanuts and a dash of salt
- No hydrogenated oils, no added sugar, and no artificial ingredients. State of Readiness: Ready to Eat
- Light roast for a smooth taste
- 0 g trans fats per serving; gluten-free; kosher pareve
- Non-GMO Project Verified; Green-e certified company
2. Whole Foods Market Peanut Butter Unsweetened Organic
Whole Foods Market’s 365 products give you the feeling of dancing down the aisles, virtually! With so many choices, premium ingredients, and affordable prices, grocery shopping is so much more than simply picking up your daily essentials.
3. Justin’s Classic Peanut Butter
It all began with a jar. In his quest for taste, texture, and quality, Justin revolutionized the world of nut butter by using the highest quality ingredients and a simple food processor. Initially, they were made for his adventures. Now you can make them too.
Nuts for Sustainability
We hope to make a difference at Justin’s by providing more than delicious foods. Our company’s initiatives include: Mindfully Sourced Ingredients, Pollinator Conservation, Hunger Relief Support, Organic and Rainforest Alliance Certified Cocoa… the list goes on! We are growing, and so is our ability to give back! Come join us.
First-Ever Nut Butter Squeeze Pack
Justin’s nut butters are the first to come in single-serve squeeze packs, providing convenient nutrition for active lifestyles. You can enjoy squeeze packs on toast, on fruit, or straight from the pack; they come in six varieties. Don’t hesitate to squeeze some nut butter on anything, anywhere, anytime.
- 28oz Jar of Justin’s naturally delicious Classic Peanut Butter, perfect for tasty sandwiches and toast, or for healthy snacking
- Only two ingredients. No added sugars, Certified Gluten-free, Kosher, and Orangutan Friendly Responsibly Sourced Palm Oil (RSPO). Note: No refrigeration necessary. Spreads best at room temperature
- 7g Protein, 1g Fiber, 0g Trans Fat
- Our products are made with common sense and the highest quality. A sense that selectively choosing fine, naturally delicious ingredients will make it taste better.
- Try our other delicious flavors: Classic Cashew, Maple Cashew, Honey Peanut, Classic Almond, Maple Almond, Honey Almond, Vanilla Almond, Cinnamon Almond, Chocolate Hazelnut
4. Kirkland Organic Creamy Peanut Butter
- DRY ROASTED
- SPRINKLED with Sea Salt
- MADE WITH U.S. Valencia Peanuts
5. Santa Cruz Organic Creamy Light Roasted
Dark and light roasts aren’t just for coffee anymore. Santa Cruz Organic peanut butters are available in creamy and crunchy varieties, both light and dark roasted.
These organic peanut butters are made with USDA-certified organic Spanish peanuts and contain no hydrogenated oils or artificial ingredients.
- Made with USDA Organic Spanish Peanuts
- Non-GMO Project Verified
- No hydrogenated oils and no artificial ingredients
- Gluten Free
6. PBfit All-Natural Organic Peanut Butter Powder
- PROTEIN POWDER: with 8g of protein in one serving of Organic PBfit, you can get a boost of protein right after your workout at the gym. Try adding it to the protein powder you already use or use it in your morning smoothie for a delicious protein boost. Great for men and women.
- SIMPLE INGREDIENTS: Organic PBfit is made with 3 simple ingredients: organic peanut flour, organic coconut palm sugar, and salt. It’s all natural and gluten-free. It’s just pure, delicious, peanut butter flavor in a versatile low-fat powder.
- DELICIOUSNESS DEFINED: for a tasty, reduced-fat peanut butter spread, mix 2 Tbsp. Of dry PBfit with 1.5 Tbsp. Of water. Stir until smooth, and spread anywhere you would put regular peanut butter.
- BLEND, BAKE, OR SHAKE: when it comes to the uses for PBfit, the possibilities are endless! Mix into baked goods like bread, pancakes, waffles, and cookies to add a great peanut butter flavor. You can also blend it into breakfast smoothies and other drinks for a tasty, low-fat protein boost after the gym. Great for men and women.
- ALL NATURAL PBFIT: Organic PBfit Peanut Butter Powder has 87% less fat and about 1/3 of the calories compared to regular peanut butter (when prepared as directed) yet it’s made from real roasted pressed peanuts. So you get real peanut flavor without all the fat and calories.
7. Spread The Love NAKED Organic Peanut Butter
We decided not to dress up our NAKED Organic Peanut Butter with any ingredients since it tastes so delicious in its birthday suit! Because of their natural sweetness and oiliness, our special blend of peanuts is perfect just the way it is – just like you! Made in small batches, this creamy peanut butter is made from all-natural ingredients for maximum freshness and quality.
There is no denying that our creamy organic peanut butter takes a bit of getting used to. The thinner, “drizzly” consistency we’re so proud of is something many customers don’t expect. However, those who embrace this new PB experience will be rewarded with exceptional flavor, quality, and will evolve their preferences.
You can stir it into smoothies, drizzle it on pancakes, or dip bananas – or Oreos – into our NAKED Organic Peanut Butter.
For customers seeking a thicker consistency, we recommend the NAKED CRUNCH Organic Peanut Butter, which is made with the same organic peanuts, but also has diced organic peanuts incorporated throughout. We don’t add palm oil, salt, sugar. Thank you for spreading the love from our family to yours! Spread The Love!
- Made with love in California, USA, made in small batches, and made with just one ingredient: Dry-roasted organic peanuts.
- All-Natural, vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, preservative-free, sugar-free, salt-free, certified kosher, non-GMO, no palm fruit oil and no junk.
8. Creamy Peanut Butter
Constance Potter and Jeremy Thaler both believed in the importance of herbal supplements, worker-owned cooperatives, organic farming, and the power of community.
They opened a whole-grain bakery and granola business after moving to Rochester, New York. One chance question, “Why don’t you make peanut butter with the barrel roaster you have? This led to Jeremy starting his own peanut butter business.
The company was established in 1976. The company moved into Jeremy and Connie’s basement after they left Rochester for a more rural area, where they manufactured peanut butter until they purchased the current facility in 1981.
Once Again’s commitment to sustainability continues, and it continues to produce superior products for its clients.
- Organic, deliciously creamy Peanut Butter
- Made with carefully selected, organically grown peanuts. Our peanut butter is made by roasting and grinding blanched, dry roasted peanuts until they are wonderfully creamy
- USDA Organic, Gluten free Certified, Vegan, Kosher
- 16oz / (1lb) Jar
9. Adams Organic Crunchy Peanut Butter
- Contain no added sugar
- 16 Ounce Glass Jar
- Country of origin is United States
- The package dimension of the product is 6″L x 5″W x 4″H
10. Santa Cruz Organic No Stir Crunchy Dark Roasted Peanut Butter
Using only USDA organic roasted Spanish peanuts, organic palm oil, and a dash of salt, Santa Cruz Organic No Stir Crunchy Peanut Butter has no hydrogenated oils, no sugar, and no artificial ingredients.
With its creaminess and crunchiness, Santa Cruz Organic Peanut Butter offers unique tastes. Peanut butter made from dark roasted peanuts creates a complex, robust flavor, and can be eaten immediately after it is made without stirring.
RSPO (Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil) and Non-GMO Project Verified, Santa Cruz Organic Peanut Butter has no trans fats.
- Crunchy peanut butter made from certified USDA organic Spanish peanuts, organic palm oil, and a dash of salt
- No hydrogenated oils, no added sugar, and no artificial ingredients. State of Readiness: Ready to Eat
- Dark roast creates a complex, robust taste
- 1 g trans fats per serving; gluten-free; kosher pareve
- Non-GMO Project Verified; RSPO-certified palm oil
- Allergens: Contains peanuts
Best Organic Peanut Butters Buying Guide
When choosing organic peanut butter, there are a few things to consider. One of the most important considerations for organic peanut butter is that it should contain minimal ingredients, no added sugar, and be responsibly sourced.
We will go into more detail below about the controversial topic of palm oil in which you should be aware of the companies that you are investing in.
Please take a moment to review the following features.
It is crucial to consider the number of ingredients in organic peanut butter before purchasing it.
Peanut butter tends to be better when there are fewer ingredients. Peanut butter with fewer than two ingredients is the most suitable option.
It is important that peanuts possess the most nutritional value without excessive amounts of sugar or salt as preservatives.
Peanut butter made from organic peanuts usually contains only peanuts and salt. The longer the ingredient list, the less likely it is that it is organic!
As a way to compensate, brands add starchy substitutes to peanut butter that claims to have ‘reduced fats’, which can actually be more harmful than fat.
No Added Sugar
Making sure that organic peanut butter does not contain added sugar should be one of the factors to consider when purchasing it.
The ingredient list should not include sugar. Despite their naturally sweet taste, nuts are not as sweet as the commercial brands of peanut butter suggest. Because of this, if sugar is listed among the first ingredients, then do not purchase that peanut butter!
Organic peanut butter typically doesn’t contain added sugar, and the healthiest nut butters don’t contain added sugar since it reduces the nutritional value.
Palm Oil Debate
The palm oil debate is something you must keep in mind when buying organic peanut butter. What is the connection between peanut butter and the production of palm oil?
The shelf-life of a product can be significantly increased with palm oil, which is a versatile product. Almost everything you use every day contains it, from lipstick to shampoo, to peanut butter to donuts.
Nearly half of all packaged goods available today in supermarkets contain palm oil. Despite its popularity, palm oil is still controversial for a variety of reasons.
Furthermore, palm oil continues to be a major cause of deforestation in some of the planet’s biodiverse forests, destroying the habitat of animals like the orangutan and the Sumatran rhino. Therefore, it is understandable why palm oil is so controversial.
Along with this, there is also controversy surrounding the fact that palm oil can be produced more sustainably, yet many companies continue to use palm oil sourced from unsustainable sources.
A not-for-profit organization called the Roundtable of Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) was formed because of growing concerns about the effects palm oil is having on the planet.
The RSPO certifies products that contain sustainable palm oil by setting a production standard that establishes best practices for production and sourcing of palm oil, according to WWF.
Certified palm oil is important as it protects the environment and the livelihoods of the communities that depend on it, enabling palm oil to continue to play an important role in food security.
Although this is a noble cause, there is a lot of misinformation out there and it can be overwhelming to navigate if you don’t know anything about palm oil.
Does peanut butter use palm oil? As I have mentioned, there is a gray area because some palm oil is responsibly sourced. Some peanut butter manufacturers, who produce ‘organic’ peanut butter, use palm oil in their products, blurring the line between the two.
Peanut butters with the most health benefits and purity tend to be those with one or two ingredients, with peanuts as the main ingredient and sea salt as an occasional addition. You should search for organic peanut butter with the fewest ingredients, then.
When purchasing organic peanut butter, you should do your own research.
It is entirely up to you where you stand on the debate; however, staying informed will assist you in making an informed decision on your organic peanut butter purchase, and you should also check whether the retailer you are purchasing from supports sustainable palm oil.
Otherwise, you may find better organic peanut butter on the market.
Responsibly Sourced Ingredients
You will also want to consider whether the ingredients are sourced responsibly when purchasing organic peanut butter.
It is likely that an organic peanut butter brand will be proud of the fact that their ingredients are sustainably sourced and market their product with this information.
There could be a red flag when a brand doesn’t mention sourcing their ingredients responsibly, so you need to do your own research to find out more about their philosophy.
In addition, many peanut butter manufacturers claim to use sustainably sourced palm oil. Sustainability is important for the families that produce palm oil, as it helps support their livelihoods, but how you stand on the issue depends on your own opinions.
If the peanut butter you’re looking at uses palm oil that isn’t sustainable, avoid it like the plague! You might have difficulty finding that information for some brands, but if you’re not sure, you can always contact them directly to learn more.
The presence of this information, however, might reveal a larger issue and, as a result, provide you with all the answers you require.
Before making a purchase, it is a good idea to do your own research and ensure that you are satisfied with the ethos of a brand.
Last update on 2022-05-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API