A simple, healthy dinner can seem like a luxury when you’re camping. For example, toasted sandwiches, grilled cheese, or pizza pockets (my favorite pie iron recipe). I also like pie iron apple pie.Over a campfire, you cannot normally cook these things. It’s dangerous. It is impossible to hold bread over a flame without getting burned.
You can’t use your toasted sandwich maker or panini press at camp since there is no electricity.
This problem can only be solved by getting a pie iron.
Typically, pie irons are made from cast iron or aluminum. These look like small rectangular boxes on sticks.
Using the stick, you hold the sandwich in the box over the campfire to cook, and then the box opens up for you to put your sandwich ingredients in or make a pie iron pizza.
After a long day of hiking, a quick meal could be just what your family needs.
Our team has been testing out some of the best pie irons on the market, and after much deliberation, we have selected our top 5 favorites.
We will follow up with our reviews.
In the next section, we’ll provide you with a buying guide, so you know a little more about pie irons, and how to choose the right one for you.
At the end, there are some bonus sections that you might enjoy.
Let’s get started…
Top 5 Best Pie Iron: Editor Recommended
The 10 Best Pie Iron Reviews:
1. Coghlan’s Cast Iron Cooker & Broiler
- Cast iron cooker with two-part hinge and 27-inch handle; can be placed over flame or nestled between coals
- Great for toasting sandwiches, grilling meat, and cooking desserts over an open fire
- Affordable, essential gear for car camping, RV trailers, motor homes, cabins, and more
2. Rome’s Round Pie Iron with Steel and Wood Handles
Rome’s original round pie iron makes toasted sandwiches and hand pies with a diameter of 4″.
You can make it by opening the iron, placing two slices of buttered bread inside, packing it with sweets or savory ingredients, closing it, trimming off the excess bread, and toasting it over an open fire.
Open and enjoy a toasted pudgie pie after a few minutes. By crimping the bread, the cast iron creates an airtight seal.
Rome is the original pie iron manufacturer, and they have been helping to create campfire memories since 1964. Cast iron overall length is 28″; cooking surface is 4″; steel rods are made from steel with wood handles.
- Makes sweet and savoury pudgier pies over the campfire
- Round design seals in the goodness
- Solid cast iron construction
- Toasts pies and sandwiches with ease
3. Square Pie Iron
No matter if they’re roughing it in the woods or just playing in the backyard, kids will love our 10-pronged Marshmallow Tree.
The non-stick coated steel wire is bent and turned to look like tree branches, and the handle is stained to look like rosewood. Cast-iron Campfire Pie Iron seals edges as it warms fillings and browns the outside, making toasted sandwiches and fruit pies that kids will enjoy.
Cooks can keep fires at a safe distance with the extra-long handles. It features many delicious breakfast, lunch, and dinner recipes.
The metal forks with wood handles are great for hot dogs or marshmallows. An adult must supervise. We do not offer gift wrapping.
The marshmallow tree is 40″ long, the pie iron is 4-1/2″ square, and the forks are 22″ long.
- The Original Pie Iron Since 1964
- Heavy Duty Square Cast Iron Design
- 28 inch Overall Length
- Toasts Pies and Sandwiches With Ease
- Great Fun For Firepits
- The Original Pie Iron Since 1964
- Heavy Duty Square Cast Iron Design
4. Rome’s Double Pie Iron with Steel and Wood Handles
- 8-1/2″ x 4-1/4″ cooking head
- 28″ overall length
- The big daddy of pie irons
- Our double sized cast-iron allows you to maximize the cooking versatility
- 2 sandwiches at a time or Calzone, fish, and pasty’s
5. Uno Casa Cast Iron Pie Iron
- IDEAL CAMPING PIE IRON – Robust and reliable, this campfire pie iron is guaranteed to transform your camping experience into a true family hit. Easier to carry than most campfire cooking tools, it’s the perfect camp cooker for the woods, mountains or your garden.
- CAST IRON FOR LIFE – Sturdy & pre-seasoned for life using innovative technology, the cast iron pie iron is non-stick, high heat & pressure resistant, and rust-free if kept dry. Your grandchildren will be using the campfire sandwich maker decades from now.
- FEEDS MORE & MULTI-USE – Double the average size 8 x 4.4 Inches, the pie iron head fits more food. Lined with a flavor-enhancing grill grid, it serves as a campfire Panini press, can be used to make hashbrowns, grilled cheese & meats, tortillas, bread rolls, and more.
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN – The cast iron pie iron has fully removable 2 different lengths (13.8 & 21.6 in) handles and head, making it easy to wash and fit in a backpack. A hook keeps the head securely closed while cooking to seal in flavors and protect your food.
- EASY TO USE – No need to season your pie iron after each use; in fact it only gets better with time. Simply wash with hot water and pat dry. No worries about meal ideas either: you’ll receive an inspiring recipe eBook for truly unforgettable camp cooking!
6. Pie Iron Creations
This weekend, how about some incredible fireside cooking? You can create delicious campfire food with a pie iron and a fire with all kinds of yummy crusts and fillings.
A toasty meal, snack, or dessert can be enjoyed in just minutes. The best part is that everyone can prepare it themselves!
7. BestNest Rome Cast Iron Extra Large Square Pie Irons
Cook two large sandwiches or treats over a campfire easily using these Rome Cast Iron Extra Large Square Pie Irons.
Each of these durable units handily holds larger bread slices or tortillas, allowing you to toast or cook a larger meal. Two, 12″ long, stainless steel rods support the significant, cast iron heads, while 9″ long wooden grips complete the units.
This design keeps you safely away from the fire, while the chambers warm quickly and evenly for reliable and delicious cooking.
A latch keeps the handles together while cooking, and a hinge at the top makes it simple to open each unit and reach your food.
Create wonderful campfire treats for a few people to share using these Cast Iron Extra Large Square Pie Irons. Ten year warranty.
- Set of 2 pie irons to help cook 2 extra large treats over a campfire
- Each cast iron head has an extra large chamber, for creating larger sandwiches
- Cast iron construction reamins hot and cooks quickly and evenly
- Stainless steel rods and wooden handles keep you safely away from the fire
8. Pack of 2 Cast Iron Pie Cooker Campfire Sandwich Maker
Over an open fire, the cast iron pie camp cooker locks in flavor and is the perfect way to cook your favorite fruit pie dessert or a hot sandwich for breakfast, lunch, or dinner! Recipes included!
- Long-lasting cast iron head with easy open hinge
- Cool touch varnished wood handles for ease of use
- Stainless steel rods have a stainless steel S-hook to keep pie iron closed when cooking
- Cooking head measures 4-1/2″ x 4-1/4″ and total length is 28-7/8″
- Boxed for easy gift wrapping!
9. Rome Cast Iron Original Square Pie Irons
Use the Rome Cast Iron Original Square Pie Iron to make delicious, sealed sandwiches over an open fire.
The cast iron top, square shape, and long handles of this utensil add a timeless touch to your camping experience, and it will become a favorite for many years to come.
The cast iron of the cooking cavity heats quickly and evenly, resulting in perfectly charred sandwiches. Food is placed over the fire without getting too close to it with the two metal handles, and wooden grips provide a bit of insulation.
Using a latch on these handles, they remain tightly closed, and the top of the unit opens to let you view or clean your food. Enjoy this original cast iron square pie iron is great for cooking over an open flame. year warranty.
- Set of 4 classic, square cast iron pie irons
- Items are great for cooking a meal over your campfire
- Cast iron construction offers durability and even cooking
- Extended handles with wooden bases keep you away from the fire
- Cooking over a fire is a great family tradition
10. HAWOK Cast Iron Pie Iron
- Out of the box ready to cook in seconds
Best Pie Irons Buying Guide
Here is the buying guide I promised. This guide will help you make the right choice.
Long handles that are safe to hold
You’ll need a long handle so the person holding it won’t get too close to the flames when it’s over the campfire.
Choosing handles with a minimum length of 16 inches is recommended.
To prevent the campfire heat from directly reaching your hands, these handles must be extremely heat resistant. It would be best to use wood for these handles.
Shape and Size
Pie irons are available in a variety of shapes and sizes. Regular bread slices will fit in the standard size. You can also get doublers, which are great for feeding many mouths at once.
Alternatively, you can get round ones that fit an English muffin, like the ones at McDonald’s.
What it’s made out of
The best pie irons are made of cast iron, according to us.
You don’t have to limit yourself to that. Pie irons made of aluminum are also available. Irons made from aluminum tend to be lighter and easier to use because they are less heavy and more versatile.
Aluminum pie irons, on the other hand, can warp or melt, which is why we generally prefer cast iron pie irons.
Pie irons don’t have many brands on the market. There’s no denying that Rome Industries is a powerful and popular brand.
Overall, it is also the brand that has received the most positive feedback from customers. In our top 10 picks, we included several models from this brand.
It is fortunately quite affordable to buy pie irons. Prices do vary, however. It’s possible to buy some for less than $10, and at the higher end, you might spend $50 or more.
Nevertheless, you can find a good pie iron at both the higher and lower price points.
Our list of the best pie irons certainly hopes you enjoyed reading it! They’re incredibly trendy right now in the Midwest.
Choosing a winner is never easy, but Rome’s Double Cast Iron Pie Iron has earned its place as our undisputed winner.
Pies and campfires are best when shared with friends, just like pudgy pies. Which pie iron recipe is your favorite? Comment below and let us know.
Last update on 2022-10-06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API