It’s no longer necessary to buy a thermos to keep your coffee warm. The stainless steel extra wide necked vacuum flask, also known as the soup thermos or the food jar, is ideal for keeping hot lunches or cold lunches cold for the whole family.
Soup thermoses may be able to keep food at a suitable temperature for some time, but there is a wide range of styles and manufacturers to choose from.
You can also influence the thermos’ ability to keep food warm or cold by how you prepare it.
Here we discuss some of the best soup thermoses and food jars available, in addition to how to prepare them properly and clean them properly after use.
Top 5 Best Soup Thermos: Editor Recommended
The 10 Best Soup Thermos Reviews:
1. THERMOS FUNTAINER 16 Ounce Stainless Steel Vacuum Insulated Food Jar with Folding Spoon
In addition to its vacuum insulated properties to keep hot foods hot and cold foods cold, the 16oz FUNtainer® Food Jar from Thermos® brand is also colorful and fun.
They will be able to enjoy their favorite soup fresh and hot at lunch if you send them to school with it. Pack a cold snack with yogurt and berries, or with apples and peanut butter if they’re in the mood for one.
It’s easy to carry and open the FUNtainer food jar because it’s lightweight and compact with a push-button lid.
FUNtainer food jars can be cleaned in the dishwasher; however, hand washing is recommended. Includes spoon.
- STAYS HOT OR COLD: THERMOS vacuum insulation technology retains temperature of hot or cold meals. Send them to school with their favorite soup or cold snack. This food jar keeps contents hot for up to 7 hours and cold for up to 9 hours
- DURABLE FOR DAILY USE: High quality 18/8 stainless steel construction is built to handle drops, dings and assorted roughhousing
- KID-FRIENDLY DESIGN: Lightweight and compact with a push button lid so it’s easy to carry and open. The wide mouth is easy to fill, eat from, and clean. You can pop your FUNTAINER food jar in the dishwasher, though washing by hand is recommended
- SPOON INCLUDED: No need to pack a separate spoon! This food jar has one that conveniently folds for storing inside of the lid
- PROTECT WHAT YOU LOVE: This THERMOS KIDS gear is made with durable, dishwasher safe materials meant to keep lunch and drinks how they like them. The lunchtime puzzle is officially solved
2. THERMOS Stainless King Vacuum-Insulated Food Jar with Spoon
Stainless steel food jars from STAINLESS KING keep the elements out while preserving tasty treats. Hot soups stay hot for nine hours, cold food for 14 hours.
This means that wherever you go, your favorite meal will be waiting for you. The high-quality 18/8 stainless steel construction makes it ideal for lunch on-the-go or camping in the mountains any time of the year.
The lid includes a full-sized spoon that can be conveniently stored inside. There is also an integrated serving bowl built into the lid.
When hot, the exterior remains cool to the touch, while when cold, the exterior remains sweat-proof. TOP RACK is recommended for dishwasher-safe thermos brand food jars.
- STAYS HOT OR COLD: THERMOS vacuum insulation technology for maximum temperature retention of hot or cold meals. Keeps the weather out and the delicious in. Soups stay hot for up to 9 hours and cold foods stay cold up to 14 hours
- EXTREMELY DURABLE: High quality 18/8 stainless steel construction is dependable any time of the year, from lunch on-the-go to camping in the wilderness
- SWEAT-PROOF: Exterior stays cools to the touch with hot contents and sweat-proof with cold. THERMOS brand food jars are dishwasher safe, top rack recommended
- SPOON INCLUDED: A full-sized spoon that folds for conveniently storing inside of lid. The insulated lid doubles as a built-in serving bowl
- OTHER CAPACITIES: Love the food jar but looking for a different size? The STAINLESS KING food jar also comes in a 24 ounce and 47 ounce capacity
- SINCE 1904: THERMOS brand products have been making everyday life better, every time. Hot stays hot. Cold stays cold. Food and drinks stay fresh. The little things go a long way, so do we
3. Food Thermos – 20oz Vacuum Insulated Soup Container
- 【PREMIUM FOOD GRADE MATERIAL】Made of high quality food grade 316(Highest Food Grade Level),304 stainless steel. BPA free, no PVC, non-toxic. Premium quality material ensures the product safety and food health.
- 【VACUUM INNER DESIGN】Lunch Container for hot food features upgraded double wall vacuum insulation technology and seamless welding technology, Keep food hot or cold up to 12 hours.
- 【LEAK PROOF & EASY TO OPEN】Come with silicone sealing ring, the food jar has been full sealed to prevent spilling accidents. Keep your home-cooked meals warm, fresh.100% LEAK-PROOF. Air Pressure Release design makes it easy to open.
- 【USER – FRIENDLY】Wide mouth design makes filling and cleaning a simple task. The inner lid come with a foldable spoon, no need to bring extra utensil. The outer lid with a unique concealable silicone handle ensures ease of carrying around.
- 【PRACTICAL】Great for kids, adults, workplace, college students, hiking , road trips, picnics and Outdoor Activities . The Stainless Steel food jar is also a good choice of gift.
4. Insulated Food Jar for Hot & Cold Food for Kids
Thermos jar is big enough to hold an entire meal yet compact enough to fit into kids’ lunchboxes and adult lunch bags.
With the sweat-proof and leak-proof jar, no spills or leaks need to be an issue in your bag or backpack.
Food thermoses can be taken to school, work, and while traveling without needing to be reheated or refrigerated.
- 【Attractive Thermos Food Jar】It takes top marks for its superior insulation, stainless steel material, two different sizes of capacity, and a versatile design that works for toddlers, kids, and adults. Use your thermos food containers for hot foods & cold foods such as pasta, soup, chili or milkshake.
- 【2 Food Jar Set with Upgrade Seal Lids】Upgrade seal lid for conveniently spoon storage. Box comes with 2 insulated lunch thermos (17oz, 24oz), 1 folding soup spoon and fork, 1 user manual.
- 【Superior Vacuum Insulation】Durable insulated thermal technology maintains temperatures for longer, keeping contents hot up to 12 hours or cold for 24. Interior is constructed entirely of stainless steel, ensuring hot foods never come in contact with plastic.
- 【100% Leak-Proof】Airtight, easy to open, and generous capacity. Take this thermos food jar, your storage jars won’t leak in your lunch bag anymore!
- 【High Quality Material】Made of stainless steel interior and exterior, food grade materials are dishwasher safe. So we’re proud to offer a Lifetime Warranty on our Thermos Food Jars. ensure our customers could enjoy our healthy food storage container without worry.
5. Simple Modern Vacuum Insulated Food Jar Thermos
This 18/10 stainless steel food jar is double walled and vacuum insulated. Easy to carry with the convenient handle lid, this jar is great for lunches, picnics, and road trips.
- Vacuum Insulated: Simple Modern food jars are double-walled and vacuum insulated, which keeps your food hot or cold for hours
- 18/8 Stainless Steel: This insulated food jar is made from premium food-grade, rust-resistant stainless steel and is coated with a durable finish
- The Provision food jar comes with an insulated, dishwasher safe handle lid that’s made for easy carrying on-the-go.
- Wide Mouth: Made for easy eating and easy cleaning; US Patent Pending
- We Exist to Give Generously: Simple Modern is built on serving you, offering remarkable value, and giving more than 10% of profit. All products are covered by a limited lifetime warranty.
6. Stanley Classic Vacuum Insulated Food Jar
You can take it camping, fishing, hiking or anywhere you can’t take your mom’s cooking. Serve soup or chili steaming hot even hours after you pack it (yes, it keeps cool food cold, too).
The wide mouth makes cleaning easy, and it seals tightly so you won’t have to worry about leaks.
- FOOD THERMOS WITH DOUBLE VACUUM INSULATION: The Stanley Classic Vacuum Insulated Food Jar comes with double-wall vacuum insulation which limits the effects of outside temperature on the food in it. Keep your food hot for hours on the go
- STAINLESS STEEL: The Stanley food jar is manufactured with high-quality 18/8 Stainless steel, and is BPA-free. Our food jar is not only safe to use but also maintains its temperature regulating properties for a long time
- WIDE MOUTH OPENING: Our thermos food jar comes with a wide mouth opening, with a 360° degree lid. The wide opening accommodates drinking directly from the rim, or the use of tea strainers or filters if required
- LEAK RESISTANT CAP: Our hot food thermos comes with a leak-resistant cap, which stops leakage and spills. The leak-proof cap makes it highly package and easy to carry your food or beverage anywhere you go without risk
7. MIRA Lunch, Food Jar
Stainless steel food jars won’t retain or transfer flavors, so you can be sure your food stays fresh. MiraGuard Technology keeps contents cold for up to 10 hours and hot for up to 5 hours in our BPA-free food jars.
With our food jar, you can pack kids lunches, toddler breakfasts, or snacks for adults. This versatile jar is great for people of all ages and for various meals and snacks of the day.
Your compact food jar fits easily into your lunchbox, backpack or work bag.
Whether you’re at work, school or on vacation, your portable food jar won’t leak or sweat in your bag or hand.
Take advantage of your insulated food jar that does not require reheating or refrigeration at mealtime.
- Perfectly Portable: Our thermos food jar is large enough to fit an entire meal yet small enough to fit in kids lunch boxes and adult lunch bags. Confidently pack your sweat-proof and leak-proof food jar in your bag or backpack without worrying about spills or leaks. Take your food thermos to school, work or travel without needing to reheat or refrigerate your food.
- Innovative Vacuum Insulation: Keep your food cold for 10 hours or hot for 5 hours with our highly rated insulated food jar. Our thermos lunch box uses our innovative MiraGuard Technology to maintain temperatures for hours. Explore new meal possibilities with your food thermos for hot food and cold food.
- Built to Last: Constructed from durable 18/8 food-grade stainless steel that won’t rust, break, retain or transfer flavors. Comfortably hold your hot food thermos in your hand as our thermoses have a matte finish that feels soft to the touch and provides a slip-free grip. The easy to twist lid makes this jar the best kids thermos for hot food.
- Functional Style: This versatile lunch thermos is great for toddlers, kids, and adults. Use your thermos food containers for hot foods such as pasta, soup or chili. The wide mouth of this modern lunch jar makes filling and cleaning the jar a simple task.
- Health in Mind: With our insulated food flask, you can skip on eating outside food and pack a healthy, homemade meal instead. Pack hearty oatmeal for breakfast, hot soup for lunch or fresh fruit for a snack in between meals. With your safety also in mind, our reusable thermos food containers for hot food are BPA-free. Food jar is hand-wash only. NOTE: Please do not overfill the jar or store food in the lunch jar for more than 24 hours. Please do not over-tighten the lid and do not force it open.
8. Thermos Stainless King 16 Ounce Food Jar with Folding Spoon
With thermos vacuum insulation, liquids can be kept hot for up to seven hours and cold for nine hours.
- Thermos vacuum insulation technology for maximum temperature retention, hot or cold; keeps liquids hot for 7 hours and cold for 9 hours
- Unbreakable stainless steel interior and exter
- Cool to the touch with hot liquids, sweat proof with cold
- Compact and insulated stainless steel serving bowl
- Full size folding stainless steel spoon included with the 16 ounce food jar
9. THERMOS Stainless King Vacuum-Insulated Food Jar
THERMOS is a leading manufacturer of insulated food and beverage products.
With Thermos’ Stainless King series, a new chapter in their storied history is opened with a modern line that combines the latest technology with a dash of history.
It is a great choice for people on the go, as it is built to last and loaded with features to create a more enjoyable eating experience.
By creating an airless space between two stainless steel walls, THERMOS vacuum insulation virtually eliminates temperature fluctuations within the food container.
As a result, THERMOS is the best insulation available. A superior insulated container you can depend on to keep your food hotter, colder, fresher, longer.
For those long days when mealtimes might be a little irregular, this food jar keeps items hot for 9 hours or cold for 12.
The stainless steel double wall construction of this 24 oz food jar makes it virtually indestructible, while its stylish design is both eye-catching and functional. Contoured body shape provides a comfortable grip, and wide mouth opening facilitates easy filling, eating, and cleaning.
In addition to serving as a lid, the lid also functions as a bowl. The stainless steel body of the Stainless King Food Jar is insulated by a double wall vacuum, so hot food stays cool to the touch and cold food stays condensation-free.
Food jars constructed from this material are 100% BPA free and constructed from the best materials.
To take full advantage of the incredible insulation technology, it’s recommended that you pre-chill or pre-heat the food jar before use.
Pour cold or hot tap water into the food jar, attach the lid, and allow it to rest for a few minutes.
When you are ready to use, just empty the water and replace with your favorite food item. You can further increase its heat efficiency by attaching the lid.
- Thermos vacuum insulation technology for maximum temperature retention, hot or cold, keeps liquids hot or cold.
- Durable stainless steel interior and exterior
- Cool to the touch with hot liquids, sweat proof with cold
- Compact and insulated stainless steel serving bowl
- Wide mouth is easy to fill, eat from and clean
Things to Consider Before Buying a Soup Thermos
A thermos or vacuum flask’s ability to stay hot or cold for an extended period of time is perhaps one of the most important characteristics to look for. Also, it’s worth finding out exactly what that duration means as most manufacturers set the duration based on how long liquids or semi-liquids will remain warm or cool.
When considering thermos capacity, keep in mind that it should always be filled almost to the top to ensure maximum insulation, so you should make sure to select one that is appropriate for your needs.
Manufacturers may specify how full it needs to be, but usually an inch from the top is enough to allow the inner lid to fasten securely while keeping it away from the contents, since heat can pass through the lid.
In the event that you have purchased new vacuum flasks, it might be worthwhile to test them out before packing your kids off to school with them, as this will provide you with an idea of how long their soups or mac and cheese will stay hot.
Preparing a Thermos for Hot Food
A thermos is best suited for semi-liquid or liquid foods, such as soups, chilis, and pasta, so long as they have plenty of sauce, because a thermos can only insulate and work properly when they have liquid.
You should always prepare food for a thermos right before you or your family leaves for work or school to ensure that it is kept for the shortest amount of time possible.
To heat your clean thermos, fill it with boiling water and allow it to sit for a few minutes. In order for your food to stay safe in the thermos, you must heat it to at least 165°F. Even better if you are able to heat to boiling (about 212°F) for the food. In some cases, it might be easier to heat the food on the stovetop rather than in the microwave.
Once the boiling water has been poured out of the thermos, your food may be added. You should tell your kids that they should ask an adult for help opening the thermos if they made it up for school.
Any leftovers from the thermos should be poured away as soon as it arrives home.
Do not consume hot or cold food when it is cool or warm when you open a thermos. The food in a thermos starts to become unsafe when the temperature drops below 140°F for more than two hours. As well, if too much heat is applied to cold food, then it will be dangerous.
Using a Thermos for Cold Foods
The flask can be chilled overnight in the freezer if you want to use it for cold beverages or foods. If you’re looking to chill your food faster, you might try adding ice and cold water to your container and letting it sit for a few minutes before serving it your food that’s been stored below 40°F.
Putting a cold thermos in your lunch bag also means putting a freezer pack in there to keep your food safe.
Invention of the Vacuum Flask/Thermos
Physicist and chemist Sir James Dewar invented a vessel with a vacuum jacket to safely store gases in 1892. They are still used worldwide today as the Dewar flask.
Thermos GmbH, a german company based in Berlin, began developing and manufacturing their own Dewar flasks based on Sir Dewar’s design in 1904, as Dewar had not patented his design.
Though Dewar was recognized as the inventor of the vacuum flask, he lost a patent battle with Thermos.
How a Thermos or Vacuum Flask Works
There are two flasks inside a vacuum flask. Almost all the air between these flasks has been removed in order to create a vacuum. As a result of this vacuum, there are fewer molecules that can move heat (from the contents or from outside the flask) from one flask wall to another.
Secondly, the silver or reflective surfaces of the flasks prevent even more heat from transferring; instead, it gets reflected away from the flask walls, and the airtight seal at the top prevents heat from escaping or entering. However, if the thermos is overfilled, some heat can escape through the lid.
Cleaning a Vacuum Flask
Vacuum flasks, vacuum flasks, or food jars should never be allowed to have water enter them.
The welding on stainless steel thermoses can be damaged by cleaning them with chlorine bleach.
You should be able to get a bottle cleaning brush into it to reach the bottom after most uses with warm water and detergent.
Adding uncooked rice to vinegar in water, replacing the lid, and shaking until the inner is clean can be done if the neck is narrower.
Even when you wash your soup flask regularly after use, over time it will usually begin to stain. It may also develop a slightly unpleasant odor.
It is at this point that a more vigorous cleaning is required. Adding a tablespoon of baking soda to every two cups of capacity in your thermos along with warm water usually works well to remove residue.
Cider vinegar can also be added. The solution should stand for a while, and then be scrubbed and rinsed thoroughly.
Add a couple of tablespoons of salt to the thermos as well as some ice pieces/cubes to make it more energetic. Place the lid back on the thermos and shake. It is hoped that after a thorough rinsing, the residue will have been removed.
When you leave the thermos to stand for a while or overnight, you can remove stubborn mineral stains by soaking a denture cleaning tablet in some warm or hot water (one tablet for every two cups of water).
You should stand it in the sink while you do this as it will foam, and be sure to rinse it thoroughly afterwards. It will be necessary to repeat this process if the staining is not completely removed.
Add a teaspoon of salt to your soup thermos during the summer months or even an entire clove of garlic to keep it smelling fresh.
It is our hope that you have enjoyed reading our article on food jars, that it has provided some useful information, such as what foods should be put in food jars, how much to fill up a thermos, or even how to remove some of the stubborn stains and weird odors found in vacuum flasks.
Soup thermoses are perfect for nutritious food on the go and can be easily packed in a school lunch bag, daypack or even in an office tote, and we hope our reviews of some of the top soup thermoses will help you decide which is ideal for hot or cold food.
Last update on 2022-10-06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API